(Rome: 15 November 1523). 430 x 630 mm. (17 x 24 3/4"). Single column, 29 lines in a papal chancery hand.
In a custom-made cloth box. WITH THE ORIGINAL LEAD SEAL AND RED AND YELLOW SILK TIES ATTACHED; several signatures and official notations on both recto and verso. Light general wear, ink in calligraphic headline a little faded but still very visible, seal slightly worn and cords somewhat frayed, but still a very good specimen, highly legible and with everything intact.
In an exceptionally pleasing hand that borrows from the humanist tradition, this document assigns control of the parish church of San Fabiano and San Sebastiano di Carantini, in the diocese of Alessandria, to Antonio Scarampi, cleric of the diocese of Acqui, after the resignation of the previous priest, Pietro Scarampi. The dioceses of Alessandria and Acqui had been at odds since the 12th century when Pope Alexander III made Alessandria a see and co-opted land from nearby Acqui. Although the church discussed here has proven difficult to locate, it was likely in the region of Carante, situated, unsurprisingly, about halfway between the two dioceses, and toward the west. The document itself includes an impressive headline with long, exaggerated descenders all the way across the line. The text here is well spaced, easy to make out, and with few abbreviations. Pope Clement VII (r. 1523-34) was born Giulio di Giuliano de' Medici and reigned during a particularly fraught period in Western Europe that included an expanding Protestant Reformation, political upheaval between the Holy Roman Emperor and King of France, and Henry VIII's highly problematic divorce from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon. He is also remembered as a great patron of the arts and the pope who first approved Copernicus' theory of heliocentrism in 1533. (ST15038)
Add to Cart Price: $4,500.00
PJP Catalog: 74.017