(1673-88). 218 x 165 mm. (8 1/2 x 6 1/2"). Complete, including all blanks, advertisements, etc., unless otherwise noted below. 10 separately published works in one volume.
Contemporary mottled calf, raised bands ruled in gilt. Front joint cracked but the cover still firmly attached, corners worn to boards, light flaking to spine and a little loss to head and tail (headbands partially attached), but the binding secure and the covers still in very good shape; paper lightly toned, light scattered foxing to most plays (as is so often the case with these works); "Jerusalem" trimmed a little close (isolated cases of loss to final line of text) and with about half its leaves frayed at fore edge (occasionally costing a couple words on a group of lines), other minor imperfections, but the majority of these condition issues confined to the one named play, with the other nine being quite clean and in very good condition overall.
This collection of dramatic works by Dryden and his contemporaries contains the following editions, all of which appear infrequently in auction records:
1) CROWNE, [JOHN]. THE DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM BY TITUS VESPASIAN. IN TWO PARTS. (London: Printed for James Magnes and Richard Bentley, 1677). FIRST EDITION. The second part of the work with a separate title page and pagination. Wing C-7385.
2) DRYDEN, JOHN. AURENG-ZEBE. (London: J. M. for Henry Herringman, 1685). Second Edition. Macdonald 80b; Wing D-2246.
3) DRYDEN, JOHN. THE CONQUEST OF GRANADA BY THE SPANIARDS. IN TWO PARTS. (London: T. N. for Henry Herringman, 1673). Lacking final blank, else complete. Second Edition. Macdonald 76b; Wing D-2257. Second part with separate title page, but continuous pagination.
4) DRYDEN, JOHN. THE INDIAN EMPEROUR; OR, THE CONQUEST OF MEXICO. (London: Printed for H. Herringman, 1686). Fifth Edition. Macdonald 69f; Wing D-2293.
5) DRYDEN, JOHN. TYRANNICK LOVE; OR, THE ROYAL MARTYR. (London: Printed for H. Herringman, 1686). Fourth Edition. Macdonald 74d; Wing D-2396.
6) [LEE, NATHANIEL]. [THE RIVAL QUEENS]. ([London: n. p., 1684 or after]). Lacking first two leaves (title and first leaf of Epistle Dedicatory). Most likely a Second or Third Edition, based on collation.
7) LEE, NATHANIEL. SOPHONISBA, OR, HANNIBAL'S OVERTHROW. (London: Printed for J. Magnes and R. Bentley, 1676). FIRST EDITION. Wing L-870.
8) MOUNTFORT, W[ILLIAM]. THE INJUR'D LOVERS: OR, THE AMBITIOUS FATHER. (London: Printed for Sam. Manship, 1688). FIRST EDITION. Wing M-2974.
9) OTWAY, THOMAS. DON CARLOS PRINCE OF SPAIN. (London: Printed for Richard Tonson,1676). FIRST EDITION. Wing O-542.
10) SETTLE, ELKANAH. THE EMPRESS OF MOROCCO. (London: Printed for E. Cademan, 1687). Third Edition. Wing S-2679. (ST15503)
Add to Cart Price: $4,500.00
PJP Catalog: 77.071