Services We Provide
We buy, sell, and appraise a variety of materials, including early books, illuminated manuscripts and single illuminated manuscript leaves, fine and historic bindings from all periods, important illustrated books (especially from before 1800, including early science, medicine, and travel), British and American literature (particularly the high spots or special copies in terms of inscriptions, association, or condition), the best of the private presses, and things that are otherwise unusual or uncommonly interesting.
To Buy from us:
- Click on Browse or Search to view our complete inventory.
- You may purchase online by adding an item to your cart, or you may call us at 800-962-6666 in the US or 503-472-0476 outside the US, if you prefer to talk with someone before placing an order.
- You may view recent catalogues online, or you may request a catalogue here or by calling us at 800-962-6666 in the US or 503-472-0476 outside the US.
- We try to build trust by offering fine quality items and by striving for precision of description because we want you to feel that you can buy from us with confidence. As part of this effort, we want you to understand that your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. If you buy an item from us and are not satisfied with it, you may return it within 30 days of receipt for a refund, so long as the item has not been damaged.
To Sell to us:
- If you have materials to sell that fall under one of the categories listed above or on our Browse page, please send us an email describing the item(s). You may also call us with that information.
- In addition to purchasing outright, we do take material on consignment if it and the owner's goals are compatible with what we generally offer and how we do business.
Other services we provide:
- Appraisals: Phil Pirages has more than 30 years of experience appraising rare books and manuscripts. To request an appraisal, please call or email us. For email, please put the words "Appraisal Request" in the Subject line.
- Auctions: Since we attend (or have colleagues attend for us) most of the important sales around the world, we represent (a small number of) clients at auction. Please call or email us (using the Subject line "Auction Assistance") to inquire about this service.
Thank you for visiting our site.